Why your weightloss mindset matters
Why should you focus on your mindset when losing weight? Can't you just lose few pounds and focus on that? The answer is, yes you could but that is often the long, agonising route to your goal. Shifting your mindset is the biggest factor in losing weight, here I explain why.
Most people try to lose weight with the worst state of mind possible: wanting to "fix" themselves. They jump into diets and exercise plans out of self-deprecation, referencing their "trouble" spots, calling themselves "fat" and feeling fed up with how they look in the mirror. This inevitably leads to becoming obsessed with results, focus on quick fixes and losing sight of sustainability, self-care and even health.
This kind of thinking is destructive as it causes people to focus on weight, deprivation and feeling dissatisfied rather than the good that can come of losing weight. This kind of thinking means you need to focus negative things and what you don't have or can't have. All of this creates a negative mindset which in the long term leads to failure.
It's not about a fluffy notion of thinking positively. There's nothing wrong with positive thinking but just thinking about something doesn't change it. Changing your mindset is about shifting your thinking, your decisions and your behaviour and getting different results.
Different thinking = different results
You can't solve a problem with the same thinking that got you there. Most people go on a diet or embark on an exercise programme to get the results then revert back to what they did before. The problem with this is if we go back to doing the same things we will get the same results. Even if we make minor tweaks to our habits, they probably won't get us the results we want in the long term.
Rather than "fixing" ourselves wouldn't it be better if we didn't have a problem to fix in the first place?
Of course it would.
How you think affects what you focus on.
What you focus on affects the things you tell yourself.
The things you tell yourself affect your decisions.
Your decisions affect how you behave.
Different behaviours get different results.
Meaning there is no problem to fix.
Benefits of changing your weight loss mindset
Not only does changing your mindset change your results but the whole process of losing weight feels much nicer too. Here are some added benefits of losing weight with a helpful mindset.
- No calorie counting-healthy decisions are easier because it's just how you do things.
- No will power needed-You have the will the do the things that will get you the results you want which means no inner battle.
- Decisions are easier-your goal feels good as well as making sense so you just naturally make the decisions that take you there.
- Do more than you thought was possible-once you start to see results it creates an upward spiral and you start to raise the bar higher.
- Your loved ones get the best of you-when you're kinder to yourself you are much nicer to be around.
- Spend your effort and energy on something more fun-losing weight is boring. Get it done and spend your energy on more interesting things.
So before you go leaping into a diet or health kick, take some time to consider whether your thinking is undoing your hard work.
Is your mindset helping or hindering you?
Find out using this free interactive quiz and mindset guide by clicking here
If you'd like to learn about how to change your weight loss mindset find out more here: